Sunday, January 13, 2019

Edison Township Council discusses possible BoE election switch before January 21st deadline!

Update on Moving the Edison Board of Education election back to April:

(1) The Edison Board of Education has called a Special Meeting for tomorrow at 7:00PM in the Ed Center. This meeting will be a waste of time - a proverbial whine-fest with little, if any, substantive support to keep things the way they are and their bloated budgets away from public scrutiny and challenge.

(2) The Edison Council has called a Special Meeting for Wednesday at 6:00PM in the Council Chambers. This meeting will be where you'll find out if the Council finally starts to make things right in this town. It's all on the Council to correct, as it should be. Pay close attention to what goes on and happens in this meeting - it will tell you everything you need to know about the twisted politics in this town.

Well, just saw the January 9, 2019 Council meeting and looks like the Edison Council is considering a Resolution to move the School Board election back to April.

For all the reasons you can read about in this blog, let's hope they, in the words of my buddy Emil 'Do the Right Thing' Ferlicchi, do the right thing for the People of Edison and pass a resolution to move the election back to April. The over politicization and disconcerting nature of the school board election campaign process and inability to vote on Hugely Bloated pots of money should be enough for anyone to see that it was a mistake to move the elections to November.

As an aside, bet you're curious why I brought up former ETEA President, Emil Ferlicchi? My daughter's 5th grade teacher whom she liked so much as a teacher that she always told me not to pick on him - but I digress, so let's move on.

I brought him up because their are those who believe that the April elections, with a lower turnout, would allow more of the teachers' union candidates to get elected and control the Board and that the People of Edison like to reject school budgets. Well, to some degree, there were times when the teachers' union snuck a few in.

And if the School Board puts together meaningful budgets that respect the rights of all the stakeholders, then their budgets should pass. If they do that, then there's no reason why their budgets shouldn't pass. And if history is any indication, the resident taxpayers have rejected very few school budgets over the years. From 1993 through 2014, there were only 5 school budgets rejected by the People of Edison. Note: it's been pointed out (see comments below) that there were 11 rejected budgets and not five as I indicated here. If I'm wrong on that, I apologize - I posted what I showed. Either way, my comments in this paragraph still apply.

But how's that any different than the Local Dem Party getting their chosen candidates elected? Respectfully, there's always going to be candidates who get elected because they were backed by someone or some group and all those who get elected come with their own agendas.

Yeah, you can wait 3 years and vote out those who you don't think serve the interests of all the stakeholders but every year they're there $pending your money.

So, the ultimate check on the Edison Board of Education has to be the taxpayers, you know, the ones that pay all the bills for what goes on over there on Mythomania Lane. And the only way to do that is to have the right to vote on their annual Bloated, Pots of Money they call school budgets.

Also, good to see there was a resident there who is still wondering why the Stench from last year's election (2017) is still hanging over our town without resolution by the Council.

Good question!

Here's the meeting - worth watching:



Anyhoo, time for this all-Dem Council to remember what their Party's slogan use to be - 'People Not Politics' and act accordingly on these two important issues.

9 comments:

  1. When it comes to voters I said the voters should decide,not the BOE and certainly not the council,but then again I do not hear you advocating for voters to decide,so I have to ask why? The BOE is held to 2% with a november election surely you cannot feel that is excessive?With comments of excessive pots of money,how can the BOE have the lowest cost to educate a child in the state with our high rankings? Why are you not advocating for a open public discussion like I recommended to you and your politician friends ,but instead you are advocating for the councils haphazard approach,by circumventing the very people you are saying we should not? The approach to the way this is happening is definatly wrong and political,but then why would I expect anything different. Thank you Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Richard, I take it you're Richard Brescher - current Edison Board of Education Member. First of all Rich, you can't have it both ways. It was the Board of Education that moved the election to November, not the Voters or the Council. Don't recall the Board asking the Voters first.

    Now that there's an opportunity to move it back, you can't say it should only be done by the voters. The Board was asked to move it and they did not not respond, so I went to the Council to ask them to move it.

    As for the budget, I'm sorry that you don't comprehend what's in your own budget. As for being political, you got the wrong person. I'm not an EDO Committeeman Rich, you are.

    With all due respect Rich, I tried many times to help you but you're dead wrong on this issue. It was wrong for the school board to move it to November and it has to be moved back so the resident/taxpayers can have a check on the excessive and inefficient spending going on over there.

    Could it be Rich that you have a problem with having your term shortened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may be right about a April election I told you so ,but I am not convinced that it is and have advocated for open public discussion and then to let the voters decide as I have told you,and councilman,I do not work in the past but for the future,just like you told me two wrongs do not make a right.then you should be standing up for debate so the public understands and letting the voters decide.to think the way the council is doing this now is legitimate,is incorrect Sir the ends do not justify the means in my opionion ,richard brescher

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all due respect Rich - your arguments lack any substance and honestly, make no sense. It's not the people who moved the election to November, it was the Board of Ed - but it is the people that have a right to put a check on what you're doing over there with their money.

    You (the Board) won't move it back so the Council has a right to do it and should do it.

    I'm sorry that you are more concerned with your term being shortened than having the people of Edison having a check on what you're doing over there.

    You can't have it both ways Rich. And, by the way, if anybody is trying to involve and inform the people of this town about what's going on - it's not you.

    Seems I'm the only one raising these points - where were you when the people had a chance to move the election back to April?

    It's a township disgrace what has happened to the November Board of Ed elections and I'm sorry you don't see that but I do.

    Good luck with trying to continue with the status quo with your rationale. If the Council buys into what you're saying, then they have a bigger problem than I even imagined.

    Finally, we friends and none of this stuff is personal with me. So please, if you're trying to start a fight, don't lead with your face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never personal and yes you are also not in any of our private meetings,so there is alot you are not aware of I do not need to hash it out here but will bring it into light at the council meeting,as far as my term that is what the law says so I am ok thank you Richard Brescher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr.Bucci, in doing my do diligence and research, I have concluded that the Edison school budget was rejected by the Edison votes in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013. It failed 11 years out of the 22 years it was voted on, not such good odds. I respect your blog, but when stating facts, it is important to have your facts correct. Alot of towns people read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew - If I am wrong on the number of rejections, I apologize. I only show what I posted.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, had to step away and wanted to finish my thoughts Andrew on the rejections. My thoughts are still the same. It's incumbent on the Board to put forth budgets that are fair to all stakeholders and communicate that to the residents. If not, then they should be rejected.If they do, then they should pass. It's all on the Board whether budgets pass or don't pass.

      Delete